Saturday, January 8, 2011

Protopage vs. Pageflakes

Ok, so now I've spent some time playing around on Pageflakes and can now make some detailed comparisons between the two.  I was hoping that Pageflakes would offer some of the features that I don't like on Protopage, but it has its own ways of annoying me, so I'm not sure yet which one I like better.  Here is a comparison.


Ads Ads not inappropriate, located at top of page, can be hidden by scrolling below the ad. Ads takes up space on page, can adjust size, but position is fixed where it can't be hidden, what I've seen has not been inappropriate.
Widgets Widgets are difficult to browse, can't search Called "Flakes", easy to search
Widget Features There was nothing here that I didn't find on Pageflakes. Main problem, I could not change the font size in widget, making it difficult to size for my students to see from far away. There is a customizable Flake (called the Anything Flake) that lets you compose you own content in a simple Microsoft Word-style composer. Includes adding images, typing text, changing fonts, editing html, etc. Another Flake I like is the one that allows me to upload and share files. I was interested in sharing class files on this page for students to download at home. Very cool!
Layout Can customize size and location of widgets freely. Restricted to Pageflake layouts. Can't position or size flakes freely. 


Like I said, there are tradeoffs that make it hard for me to decide which I like best.  I do like both better than iGoogle in that they are easy to share and make public.

3 comments:

  1. I tried out PageFlakes, based on your comparison. I had trouble changing the font size in my sticky note, but then just enlarged the webpage and found that my students would be able to see everything better that way anyway. I am going to try it out tomorrow in class. Here is my start at it - I haven't added any links or documents yet- http://www.pageflakes.com/default.aspx?u=37118718. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chart. I played with Protopage last week for my kids and I shared it with a co-worker. I definitely see some of the issues that you were talking about in the chart! I am looking forward to trying PageFlakes now since some of the issues that I had with Protopage are fixed with PageFlakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I tried to open my pageflake with the above web address and I had to log in. With a little hunting, I found that it had automatically saved as private. It was easy to make it public, but the web address changed to: http://www.pageflakes.com/janet_johnston/31730960
    I shared it with my students today and plan to try it this week. So far I like it! I hope students at home try it out.

    ReplyDelete